02 July 2012

Feeling a little Red, White, & Blue

The Fourth of July is a day to celebrate America's independence and with that comes the usual celebratory tradition of cooking, baking, drinking, repeat. I don't partake in that tradition as much as others, mostly because my talents fall outside of the kitchen, but this year I'm feeling a bit more festive and want to contribute my own homemade goodness to the bunches of food that will surely be had. Since one of my favorite summer treats is ice cream, I wanted to try my hand at making it rather than just serving ice cream that I bought at the grocery store. This recipe seemed pretty foolproof and vanilla ice cream is a classic dessert that goes along nicely with other desserts. Even though I'm more of a chocolate ice cream kind of gal, I can't deny that the right vanilla ice cream alone can sometimes do the trick. 


The ingredients include:
2/3 cup sugar
2 cups Organic Valley Heavy Whipping Cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup Organic Valley Whole Milke or Half and Half, fully chilled

1. Prepare/freeze the insert of your ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
2. Use a whisk to stir sugar into milk (or half & half) until it completely dissolves. Stir in the whipping cream and vanilla extract.
3. Add mixture to ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze the ice cream 4 or more hours.

Most of the feedback on the recipe was positive, but I'll have to wait and see if my end result is as scrumptious as the picture above looks.  

While I may not enjoy spending my holiday in the kitchen or standing behind a grill, I love the spirit and togetherness that comes with it. If this recipe didn't get your patriotic wheels rolling, here's some other inspiration to get you in the mood to celebrate America's birthday...

weheartit.com

weheartit.com

www.brightboldbeautiful.com

www.washingtonpost.com

www.matchbookmag.com/blog
weheartit.com

Have a happy Fourth of July!

No comments: